Sunday, October 18, 2009

October 18, 2009

Greetings from chilly Greensburg! I''m glad I don't have to go out this morning! Really, it's too early to complain about cold temps - so I'll just go on to other things! I had my second cataract surgery almost two weeks ago now and things are "lookin' great!" I'll be fitted with prescription glasses the first week in November! (Right now I'm using reading glasses from the drug store and they seem to be working well.) Soon it will be time to bite the bullet one of these nights and give night driving a try again!
The "mister" in this house is looking out of the doors and windows - not looking forward to a long winter and no riding the mower. He will have to mow a few more times to keep the falling leaves under control. We put the window on the store door the other day. . . he was waiting for me to come home, had it washed and ready to go! Of course he supervised every turn of the screwdriver!
Kid Report: Mitch called one evening this past week. He's doing a bit of traveling for work again; Diane and kids are fine - keeping busy. We will need to check in with Tracy - perhaps this evening. Mark stopped in on one of his lunch hours and gave us some phones (ours died and he's gone completely cell now). He even put one here on my computer desk. Mark and Chet had leftover roast, potatoes and carrots! Haven't chatted with Nate in a week or so - he is working long hours these days but expects a layoff any day now. Chet's sister also phoned one night - only had one phone in use that night and Chet talked to her so I really don't know too much news from them.
A friend and I drove to 'the city' last week. I needed to return pants and they didn't have what I wanted so got my money back and bought Halloween Trick or Treat candy! Also went to JoAnns and picked up a bulb for my Ott sewing light. Proud to announce, I had a 40% off coupon! Saved enough to go to Hobby Lobby and buy border fabric for the Split 9 Patch quilt! I'm so proud of all my savings! Photo below - quilt top is just laying on the border fabric and hope to get it sewn on this week.


I am planning to piece the backing for this quilt so dug out my 10 gallon Rubbermaid container of solid fabrics - and will also use the block shown below - even if it's got a goof on it!

Pictures below are some of the solid fabrics that will be used for the backing! (I will use it up - I will use it up - really, I will!)



The knitting bug attacked a couple of weeks ago - so into the bag I grabbed and out came a skein of baby yarn - blues and greens - isn't it pretty? Have about four done using this yarn and started another this morning while watching/listening to quilt and sewing TV shows!





My quilt guild is doing a swap next year. We are exchanging two half-square triangles, 3 1/2" unfinished. We will use designated colors each month, so an inventory of colors was done and decided to stitch a few. About 16 of us have signed up to do the swap. Glad I got a head start as they do take a bit of time!
Swaps can be fun!


For those of you who like to do donation quilts you may be interested in this project. Downy Touch of Comfort is a group that prepares kits and mails to people to complete and send back to them. Kits have patterns, pieces are cut, backing and binding fabrics are provided. They request that you do a quilt from your stash to send to them, too. The site with full instructions is at:
http://downytouchofcomfort.com There are a lot of pictures to see on the site, pictures of donated quilts, patients with the quilts and patterns available, too.
The kits arrive in a few days, fabrics are novelty and juvenile - for children! So if you are bored using your own stash fabrics - give this a try!

Till next time - take care - and thanks for visiting.

No comments: