Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Week with the Weckops

The week began quietly - no more wind and rain storms. The neighbors kindly finished picking up the branches and limbs that blew down from the remnants of Ike over the weekend. We were without electricity for 19 hours but did just fine. Chet and I played 500 and Racko - I don't like to brag, but I did win all the games we played. Poor guy, guess I could have left him win a game or two. We learned that tall candles give off better light than those shorter, stubby scented candles! The only thing I missed was being able to sew - but I got over that in a hurry by hand piecing two small quilt blocks, while remembering Mom's White treadle sewing machine.

Nate biked up to Columbus to pick up J.D. - his first weekend home since August. He got a ride that far with a friend who also goes to IU. It was a busy weekend for Nate - the local chapter had a fund raising ride for the Bread of Life - aka: Soup Kitchen here in town. About 85 riders registered and I believe they rode about 120 miles. They ended up out in the country where they'd set up campers, RV's and Port-a-Potty's. Three bands agreed to come out and play for the evening festivities. Chet rode in the "chase car" - they follow in case of a break down or accident. The fire truck led them out of town and Greensburg's Finest brought up the tail end. Sign up table - notice Chet and Nate in rear of photo.

Mark and Gail - a friend of his, rode along with him.

Pictures are taken from the parking lot of the Greensburg Daily News -

The final line up and the police car! I patted the driver on the arm and said "be gentle" - he didn't really appreciate that! Oh well!
J.D. and I spent the afternoon together, we had a sandwich, chips & dip and chatted away. He's loving classes. His friend picked him up and they headed back to campus. He said he had three tests this week and had to do three pages on his website. We also took a ride out into the country to see if we could find the church that was heavily damaged in the storm last weekend. And we found it - the tree that fell onto and into the church was 150 years old - planted at same time the church was built. People were there working to clear out the tree and other debris. It is so sad to see the damage done to that building. The church was to celebrate their 150th anniversary today with a picnic following the service. Picnic was cancelled and services were held on the lawn.
Now on to my sewing world - a little corner in my bedroom! Seven gals from the Chat Room and I are have a red strips swap. We began with the idea of making the same quilt we did in all blues several years ago. I decided I didn't want to do another like it and found another pattern. So I've been cutting, stitching and pressing away. This morning one of the gals asked if she could have the pattern - well, there is no pattern. I saw a picture in a fabric catalog and drew/drafted it up on graph paper. So I spent about two hours taking pictures of the finished quilt (I've done it in all scrappy look before), pictures of the different steps involved with the piecing. (Now I know why patterns are expensive!) I asked a gal from my local guild to read my instructions and see if it makes sense to her. . . if so, I'll pass it on . . . if not, I'll rewrite at her suggestions. Bless her for taking time to do this for me.
I did finish piecing my Row Quilt and took it and the scrappy Maple leaves tops to the longarm quilter last week. That poor gal is swamped with quilts to do now - I don't know why there are so many other women tying up her time so she can't get right to mine! Ha Ha Ha My Boxed Squares is ready to quilt, too. . . need to pin baste it and I'll quilt that one myself.
Someone is muttering and opening and closing cupboards and drawers in the kitchen - guess that means I need to find some lunch for him. Till next week - - stay well and be happy.

No comments: