Sunday, February 7, 2010

Snow - Bricks & Stepping Stones - Green Strip Swap

Winter paid us another visit!  Snow started Friday around noon and it just kept coming and coming.  Today we have sunshine and the temps are in the teens. More snow is predicted to be coming our way Monday night!  I spent Friday out at Mark's house, keeping an eye on Tia who is having some health issues.  The snow came down heavily and I had to brush about 5" off my car - even had to use the rear window defroster!  The drive usually takes 20 to 25 minutes but it took me 6 minutes less than an hour to get home.  I rolled through every stop sign for fear I'd not be able to move again, if I stopped! There was a lot of traffic on the road so if I'd have gone into the ditch I'd have been rescued fairly soon.  My speed was 20 MPH unless I was going down a hill and it went up to 30 MPH.  It was a frightening drive back to town.  I packed an extra outfit if I was stranded overnight. 

Ah yes - Super Bowl Sunday!  Chet can't wait for the time to pass!  A friend and I had planned to go to a nearby quilt shop and take advantage of the sales but the shop owner postponed the sale because of the snow.  I will be content to keep sewing. . more on that later in the post.

Yesterday Anna Grace celebrated her 10th birthday.  We called last evening and she was so bubbly!  She assured Grandpa Chet she'd be rooting for the Colts today!  Unfortunately her mother is a Saints fan.

I also packed up my trusty little Featherweight Sewing machine (made in 1946) and took along the Green Swap Strips project.  I managed to sew 116 four patch blocks to 116 rectangles.  That machine is a real gem and makes perfect 1/4" seams! 

Pictured below shows half of the quilt, without it's borders - hope to add them today.  The borders will be a 2" wide light cream and then a 3" brown - using the fabrics that are in the four patch blocks.

02_07_1

A close up look - Bricks and Stepping Stones - pattern is from Quiltville.com  This a generous lap robe size so will have it quilted by my longarm quilter gal.

02_07_3

Next photo is a 24" square quilt, mainly plaid fabrics.  It is ready to be quilted, too.  I'm sure it has a name but I don't know what it is! This began as another project and It was just not to my liking so I started taking the blocks apart and came up with this! 

02_07_5 That's it for today - am going to make a pot of chili and Minnesota Hotdish!  (Or goulash as people sometimes call it!)

Thanks for stopping by, have a good week.

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

I love your Bricks n stepping stones. I made a scrappy one last year, but I love the controlled scrappy colors of yours.

MinnesotaNightOwl said...

Hi Joan, Hello from snowy MN! I like the bricks n stepping stones pattern. A friend asked me to join a quilt guild in Brainerd/Baxter. Tomorrow will be the first meeting. Let Chet know I'll be cheering for the Colts this afternoon! Sue/MinnesotaNightOwl