Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hi to all our kinfolk and friends! We've had another quiet week - nice! Weather is changing daily - I hear rumbling in the distance and it's very overcast out there. We were without electricity twice within 24 hours last weekend. . . hope this isn't a sign of future service! We played cards by candle light to pass the time. I won't say who won the most games! Okay?

I've been hearing the kitchen cabinets and drawers opening a lot, and a lot of sighing, too - Chet's way of letting me know it's time to get groceries! So I made a quick run out to Wal-Mart this morning and picked up some groceries and zippers. (I have a drawer full of zippers but not the right sizes and colors - anyone who sews knows about this.)

Tuesday afternoon Mark picked up Chet and they went to a JoAnn Fabric & Craft store in Greenwood, a suburb of Indianapolis. Mark is reupholstering the seat cushions on his pontoon boat. After shopping they went out to eat, Chet treated and was surprised at how expensive it was. He couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me where they went to eat but later Mark told me they went to Hooters! Chet's age really shows when he notices the menu prices before he notices the waitresses! Right? From there they went to see a Pacer's basketball game. A client had given Mark tickets, 3rd row and center seats. They enjoyed the game - and the Pacers won by only two points! Both enjoyed the night out.

Had to make an emergency run to Rushville to the quilt shop. I bought fabric and pattern there to make a cute little purse. For the life of me I couldn't figure out the "finishing touch" and had to go back to the shop and ask the gals for help. I have only been sewing for 45 years, so as a newcomer it was to be expected! ! ! Actually, if I'd have read more carefully I could have figured it out. Goes to prove I need to read all directions before I start the project and then read again, out loud! A friend went with me (yes, I left Chet at home) and we had lunch and then came on back home. I napped and then finished up the purse - and made a second one like it. Photo below. For interested stitchers, this pattern is from the Moda Fabric company and is made of 1 1/2" strips, their Honey Buns! This pattern is also online at the Moda site, in the Bakery Section.

I took some of my "goodies" to the beauty shop and she requested I make smaller size bags, coin purses, etc. So I made a couple small coin purses, the strip fabric ones on the right. On the left are two rectangular type cases, can be used as sunglasses case or cell phone holders or digital cameras. The pink one in the center is a "Humbug Bag" - triangle shaped with a zipper. I need to add closures to some of them yet. (Reminds me - I forgot to buy hook & loop tape while at Wal-Mart!) I'm planning to make a few more of the Humbug Bags, they are cute and fairly easy to make up.

Next picture is three stenographer notebook covers - made from the fabric I showed last week.

And this last picture is of two more baskets. The shop owner asked for more of them - with Easter just around the corner, they could easily sell out.
Ah - the kids and grand kids are fine - I think. Have only been in touch with Mark this week. So the "No news is good news" adage is in effect!
Storm is coming - lightening and thunder, so must get off the computer. . . till next week, take care.

No comments: