Sunday, December 7, 2008

Almost Tis The Season

Greetings Friends & Kin Folk from a lightly snow dusted Greensburg. The temps have dropped and the wind is blowing - I know I have no reason to complain, compared to what other parts of the country are getting.

Will, our kind teenager neighbor, strung sparkling blue lights across the front of our house last week and I dug up the automatic timer - no way am I going out there twice an evening to plug and unplug the lights! Like I said last week, best money I ever spent! Chet tried to take our C'mas decorations from the closet and derailed the sliding door - he's on "MY LIST"! I will change the mantle cover and add my snowman collection and put "pretties" on the piano and candelabras in the windows - and that's it!

Mark and a friend are in the decorating mode, too. His picture looks like a male version of Vanna White, doesn't it? Gotta love that guy. He called in distress, wanting to know if the bow on the wreath wall hanging I gave him last year was attached to the top or bottom of the wreath. . . and then he whined and said he needed a C'mas tree wall hanging - so being the loving mother I am, I made one and it's shown below. A gal in the chat room was surfing and found the pattern and I immediately went to the site and printed it out. The next morning I was digging through the C'mas fabrics bin. The entire piece is from my stash. If you enlarge the close-up shot, you'll see how I stitched a swag garland in gold thread - have to put a dash of spark in it! It was fun to see all the old fabrics again and try to remember what I used them for years ago! (Didn't do very well in the recalling department!)





Speaking of using up stash fabrics, I still have quite a selection of the Aunt Grace fabrics (1930 & 40 reproductions) that I'm trying to use up. I'd made the "broken dishes" blocks a while ago, dug those out, sewed them together and added a border of white & yellow bunnies on soft blue (left over from a large quilt now residing in New Jersey). Found some tiny yellow/white check and used it for the binding. The backing of blue flannel with white clouds - had to piece the leftovers to have it big enough for the quilt - but it looks cute as a button and will keep a baby or a dolly cuddly warm!



Early in the week I had a surprise phone call. The man informed me that my name had been drawn to win the $100 Gas Card for the month of December! Gosh, isn't that neat? I had phone calls and emails from people I'd not heard from in a long time - years, in fact. Mark got calls and emails, too, telling about it. Best part of it all is that my name is on the Car Wash Marquee, on Lincoln Street - in lights! (Not neon, like Las Vegas, just back lighted) - A friend brought me back down to earth and told me not to get carried away. If it hadn't been so blasted cold, I'd have taken a picture of it for this blog posting!

Friend Pat and I "motored" to Batesville which is about 15 miles from here, to check out the sales at the quilt shop which is closing in a month. We really didn't need anything, but would like batiks and they are not on sale yet. Would you believe - I was in a quilt shop and didn't buy a thing! We went into Oldenburg for lunch and spotted a shop we'd not seen before - Dotty's - so of course we checked it out and found goodies there. It's the type of shop you'd go to to fix a basket for a hostess gift, etc. or person who has everything and you need to give them "something"! Herbs, spices, flavored teas, candies - I found Coconut Bonbons and oh, they are so tasty, just melt in your mouth. I also picked up Swiss Mocha Cappuccino mix and a package of chili mix. I've had some cappuccino and bonbons and will do the chili sometime this week. (I make lousy chili and need all the help I can get with it.)
The little boy next door was selling a variety of things as a school fund raiser - I got two boxes of chocolate covered cherries. I hope they're as tasty as they look on the picture on the box. Mitch also brought us an assortment of chocolates and they definitely are tasty! I'm so glad "aged folk" don't get zits from chocolate!
And I'll leave you with that thought!
Oh - one more thing. Some of you have asked about the "Feedjit" on the right side of this page - it shows locations of people who have visited this blog. I really enjoy looking at it - am wondering who it is in Hutchinson that is visiting this site - - I am going to add my email so people can contact me.
Contact me at: jrweckop@verizon.net
Stay in touch, stay warm and well and take it easy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joan, Love your blog and a chance to see your quilts! -KT